How would you like to reduce your initial SAN costs and expenditure and change it to a montly ongoing cost , Microsoft if giving customers its Azure StorSimple 1200 for FREE
|Feature||StorSimple Virtual Array|
|Installation requirements||Uses virtualization infrastructure (Hyper-V or VMware)|
|Total capacity (including cloud)||Up to 64 TB usable capacity per virtual array|
|Local capacity||390 GB to 6.4 TB usable capacity per virtual array (need to provision 500 GB to 8 TB of disk space)|
|Native protocols||iSCSI or SMB|
|Recovery time objective (RTO)||iSCSI: less than 2 minutes regardless of size|
|Recovery point objective (RPO)||Daily backups and on-demand backups|
|Storage tiering||Uses heat mapping to determine what data should be tiered in or out|
|Support||Virtualization infrastructure supported by the supplier|
|Performance||Varies depending on underlying infrastructure|
|Data mobility||Can restore to the same device or do item-level recovery (file server)|
|Storage tiers||Local hypervisor storage and cloud|
|Share size||Tiered: up to 20 TB; locally pinned: up to 2 TB|
|Volume size||Tiered: 500 GB to 5 TB; locally pinned: 50 GB to 500 GB|
|Volume size||Tiered: up to 5 TB; locally pinned: up to 500 GB|
|Item-level recovery||Yes; users can restore from shares|
- StorSimple Cloud Appliance 1200 monthly subscription = £94.96
- You will also need to pay for your storage in Azure Blob
The tiering engine is now based on a heat map. Frequently accessed blocks are kept locally. Colder blocks are deduped, compressed, encrypted and sent to an Azure storage account, which can be cool blob storage (ultra cheap disk).
StorSimple is available as a virtual appliance, with up to 64 TB (hot + cold, with between 500 GB and 8 TB of that kept locally) per appliance.
Auto backups with 13 years of retention.
DR Situation you receieve a new unit and can start to use data in 2 minutes of installation
- Requires 5 Mbps data per virtual appliance for normal usage.
- Archive: You need to store a lot of data that is not accessed very frequently. E.g. CCTV , old customer information, financial data and huge Medical Scans.
- File storage: You can use a StorSimple appliance as a file server, instead of a classic Windows Server. The shares are the same – the appliance runs Windows Server – and you manage share permissions the same way. This is ideal for small businesses and branch offices.
- Backup: Veeam supports StorSimple as a backup target. You get the benefit of automatically storing backups in the cloud with lots of long term retention.
- Virtual Appliance can be setup with ready made VHDX/VHD or VMDK Applicancies , attach the disk, configure networking, provision shares/LUNs from the Azure Portal, and just use the storage.